Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Directing New Face Models


 Models who don’t have that much experience in front of the camera need more attention when working together. Sometimes I find it hard when I get a girl who’s new and inexperienced, who’s also unfamiliar with their body. I'm always eager to see how they react at first to the Stylist, Make-up artist etc, I like to observe how they communicate and see how chatty they are etc. 



















When I get them in front of my camera, I always approach them with some fun humorous chat! I want them to know that I'm genuine. Remember that new face models need a lot of 
feedback and support. When I shoot, the models who are experienced don't need a lot of coaching. They follow my directions and respond really well. However sometimes the  new models don’t know how their body looks on camera for the most part. And they don’t know how to pose. They are unfamiliar with their own bodies, making it tough for them to really relax and get a striking image. 



















I am quite a chatty photographer. I sometimes find myself  yelling out things like, “Yesssssss, that’s hot!” or “Work It” I feel it’s sometimes needed,  to tell them how they are doing. But for some new faces, they need this most! 

If you have ever had the chance to work with me, You'd know that 99.9%  of the time I get on set and hit out a few poses.I am by no means a model but after working with models and relentlessly looking over fashion magazines I think I've learned a thing or two! 
I then I start doing it in front of them when I have my camera shooting making it a humorous experience,  They then follow my direction eventually and we can get on with making a great fashion story that has some great poses! 

I do enjoy the challenge of working with a new face and find that the journey to get to that great image a worthwhile process. It's wonderful to be able to see how the model has grown and found what their stenghths are throughout the shoot. 




Top Tips For A New Face Shoot: 

Keep a great atmosphere by playing music

 Be chatty and have fun, that's what it's all about!

Give praise and compliments where they are due

     Keep the styling, lighting and make-up simple, less is more 





No comments:

Post a Comment